On Dec 16 there was an article published by The Gazette stating that a Daycare at a Church in Cedar Rapids had to be evacuated due to a furnace fire.
As mentioned on this site in several articles it’s very important to change your furnace filter regularly and there are some very good reasons to do so.
There Were Two Problems That Contributed to the Furnace Catching Fire.
It was reported that the fire was caused by a dirty furnace filter. If the filter had been maintained properly the second problem, faulty limit switch, may not have been put to the test.
1) The filter was dirty, which causes air flow problems and can result in heat exchangers overheating.
2) The limit switch on the furnace failed. A limit switch is supposed to open and shut the unit down if a high temperature condition occurs.
Could the Fire have Started if the Furnace Filter Had Been Changed?
Absolutely, but it certainly would not have been as likely to happen. So replace you filter regularly and keep your equipment operating at maximum efficiency.
Have all HVAC equipment checked by a qualified contractor at least at the beginning of every heating season.
What better reason to replace your filter than the safety of your family.